This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my full disclosure policy.
Continuing along with the series with ideas for the Words of Affirmation Love Language. If you need some examples or places to start on how to best show love to your Words of Affirmation partner, this post will give you plenty!
Not familiar with The 5 Love Languages? Highly recommend picking up the book! But, I’ll give ya a quick summary. Basically, everyone has their own “Love Language” which is how they need love to be shown to them.
It’s important to know your own, and know your partner’s, so that you can both adequately show love to one another. If you’re doing all the “right things” but your partner doesn’t feel loved, you might not be speaking their “language,” and the book outlines how to do so.
Click here to read more Love Language ideas!
Words of Affirmation hits much closer to home because it is my personal love language. I crave positive affirmations, verbal affection, appreciation, and compliments.
I’m totally a words person, I think that might be why I like writing so much. But, I need words of affirmation to feel loved. They mean so much to me, and when I’m not receiving them, I feel down.
So, I wanted to provide some ideas for anyone needing some inspiration how to best love on their Words of Affirmation significant other, or anyone else who might feel loved through words.
If it doesn’t come naturally to you, it’s something you will have to put effort into, and work on developing as a habit. Try not to think of it as something that feels unnatural, and you can’t do it. I know it can feel that way at first. But, it’s just a habit you need to work on developing, as anything else.
Set reminders on your phone. Decide on a time everyday where you will say a sweet thing to your partner. Put a note on your computer screen. Remind yourself until you no longer need reminders. Your significant other will feel happy and loved, and your relationship will thrive because of it. It’s worth the effort!
Plenty of people who have the Words of Affirmation Love Language, give out Words of Affirmation on a regular basis. If this is your partner’s Love Language, then pay attention to what they’re saying to you. It’s a great way to pick up on examples that you can use, and see what type of things they’re saying.
Chances are they want similar things said back to them. They’re saying them to you because they know it’s what makes themselves feel happy and loved, so these are great things to take note of and figure out a way to repeat back to them.
I think sometimes the problem can be that we assume our partner already knows what we’re thinking. Whether it’s that you love them, appreciate something, or anything else. But, if your partner’s Love Language is Words of Affirmation, they want to hear it anyways, if they know it or don’t know it. Either way, they want to hear it.
Yes, I know that Scott loves me, but hearing it is way better than just knowing it, at least that is the case for me. That’s a great way he can show it. For him, I can show it to him with Acts of Service, since that is his Love Language. I personally can never hear any type of Words of Affirmation too many times.
Another thing to listen for and notice is your partner’s insecurities. This is a place in their life where Words of Affirmation are especially needed. It’s a great way to build them up and be supportive. You’re providing them with the words they need to hear.
Tip – if you come home and notice something. Anything. They look nice. The house has been cleaned. The dishes are put away. They’re working hard on something. They’re cooking dinner. ANYTHING. What do you see? SAY IT. Add a “thank you” or “I appreciate that you’re” or “I’m so impressed” in the beginning, and BAM you’ve got yourself some Words of Affirmation.
For your partner, these types of phrases make them feel understood, noticed, appreciated, and loved. They’re super important to start incorporating, and the list below is a great jumping off point.
Do any in the list stick out as something you could easily apply to your own relationship? Write those down somewhere easily accessible so you always have them handy.
If none stick out, pick a few anyways and jot them down. Start saying them here and there and gauge the reaction. The better they react, the more you should say similar things along those lines!
Don’t worry if you feel like you may be coming across as disingenuous when you first start to incorporate these, that’s okay. Your partner will feel grateful and appreciative of the effort you’re making to say more things that they want to hear. Plus, the more you say them, the more natural they will come across!
Words of Affirmation Love Language Ideas:
- Thank you for cooking this delicious dinner
- I had such a great time out with you
- Thank you for all of your support
- I love spending time with you
- I’m so proud of how hard you’ve been working
- You look so pretty/handsome today
- I love waking up next to you
- I really appreciate you keeping up with laundry/dishes/chore
- I wouldn’t have had this much fun without you
- Thanks for being so understanding
- I’m so sorry you had to go through (something hard they’re experiencing)
- Spontaneously saying “I love you”
- Thank you so much for listening
- I couldn’t have gotten through (problem) without you
- Your encouragement really motivates me
- I’m here for you if you need anything
- I really admire (quality about them)
- Leaving a hidden note saying something sweet for them to find
- I’m so impressed you were able to ____
- I’m so glad you shared that with me
- You’re working so hard on ____, you have such a great work ethic
- You look especially cute today
- I’m so happy you’re here with me
- An extra “I love you” before they leave for work
- You were right about ____
- Thanks for helping me work through my problem
- Writing them a love letter – extra points for mailing it to them
- Thank you for believing in me
- Great job on ____
- I appreciate you taking care of that (household task)
- You always know how to make me feel better
- You give the best advice
- Wow, the pantry looks so organized
- No thank you, but thanks for thinking of me
- Spontaneous sweet texts throughout the day
- You always know how to make me feel better
- It makes me so happy when you _____
- I’m sorry I hurt your feelings
- Thanks so much for fixing ____
- I’m not sure I understand what you mean, could you reexplain that
- I love how silly you are
- Specific compliments – that is such a great color on you, I love your haircut, your makeup looks really nice today, etc.
- Thank you for always making the best ____
- Cards on special occasions with a heartfelt note inside
- Thanks for thinking of me
- I have so much fun with you
- You have the best ____
- Thank you for taking such good care of me
- I’m so thankful to have you in my life
- You’re working so hard on ___, can I help you out at all
- I really value your opinion
- No one makes me laugh as hard as you
- You tell the best stories
- You bring out the best in me
- Thank you for making me feel so loved
- You make me want to be a better person
- Thanks for making my lunch, it really makes my mornings easier
- I admire your positive attitude
- I know you’re having a hard time with ____, I’m so impressed with how you’re handling that
- I can tell you’re stressed, is there something I can do to make things easier
- It looks so clean in here
- All of your hard work is going to pay off
- Compliment them in front of other people
- I appreciate how hard you work at your job
- You are the best cook
- Thank you for being so helpful with ____
- Ask them for their input on something
- I’m so thankful you’re always there for me
- I trust your opinion
- Thanks for driving me to work
- You’re the best boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife
- Thanks for considering my feelings
- I apologize for not fully listening before, you have my full attention now
- You’re support means everything
- I appreciate you tidying up
- What do you think I should do about ____
- I’m here to listen if you need it
- Everyone loved your ____, I could tell
- How did I get so lucky
- You were right about ____
- You’re my best friend
- Let me know if I can help you with anything
- I’m sorry I got so mad before
- You make my life so much happier
- Do you think you could help me with ____, I need your input
- You give the best hugs
- I’m so glad to be spending this time with you
- Thanks for having my back
- I know I already said sorry, but I wanted to apologize again and make sure you’re okay
- I can tell your upset, what can I do to help you feel better
- You’re my favorite person
- I know I can always count on you
- You are the best at _____
- That outfit (be specific) looks amazing on you
- Thanks for always trying to make me happy
- My life would be so boring without you
- I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us
- I can tell you’re really trying your best, you’ve got this
- What would I do without you
- I really admire how hard you’re working on ____
- You’re the love of my life
I hope this gives you some good ideas on where to start!
If you’re significant other has this Love Language, and you have some great ideas of what to say, I’d love for you to comment down below so we can keep the list going!
Same goes if your Love Language is Words of Affirmation, comment below things that make you feel loved!
Don’t forget to pick up the book to read if you haven’t already. It provides other examples, and goes into further detail about each of the Love Languages. It can help both you and your partner understand the importance of Love Languages, and how to start incorporating them in your relationship. Is a quick and enjoyable read!
Related: 101 Love Language Ideas – Acts of Service